Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Toxicity

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is toxic for cats and sometimes for dogs. Cats are especially sensitive and can become seriously ill and die. The toxic dosage of acetaminophen for a cat weighing 6 lb (2.7 kg.) is as little as one-half of a 325-mg pill that a person would use. Signs appear within a few hours after ingestion. Cats may die within 18 to 36 hours, and dogs within 1 to 3 days after consuming a toxic dose.

Toxic amount of Acetaminophen damages the blood the liver, and other organs. Intoxicated cats are depressed, salivate profusely and may vomit. They may have breathing problems and pain. The eyeballs can be yellowish and the gums pale and brownish. The urine may be brownish as well. The face and the paws may swell up.

Animals that recently consumed acetaminophen should be rushed to the veterinarian. Treatment usually includes emergency procedures such as inducing vomiting, Flushing the stomach followed by activated charcoal administration. Toxicity is treated with antidotes, oxygen, intravenous fluids and other medications. Patients usually spend several days in the hospital and the outcome is not always favorable.

[Back]
Copyright © 2004 - 2013
Yuval Nir
Naperville University Commons Animal Clinic- The-vet.net
1827 Wehrli rd
Naperville , IL , 60565
(630) 544-3333
Veterinarians, Animal hospital